Saturday, October 5, 2013

My October Mission :: Don Ken Gallery

I don’t know if others share this experience, but I find that I go through periods of intense consumption followed by periods of intense creation. A lot of the summer was a consumption period for me. I read a lot of books, watched movies in the evening with Anthony, went to a lot of shows and generally gorged myself on the amazing things being created around me.

The tables, however, are turning and I’m finding myself moving into the next creation phase. More writing, new songs with the band, cooking new meals and even some drawing have been part of my day to day.

Which brings me to my October challenge.

A few days ago I stumbled upon the blog, Don Ken Gallery. There’s not a lot of information on the artist on the blog aside from one small paragraph that pretty much sums it up, I think.
Born in Denmark 1978. I write and direct television shows for kids. I have a set of twins and not much time for anything. But when i have time i draw monsterdrawings on post-it notes… it is a little window into a different world, made on office supplies.
The artwork that he creates is truly amazing. I fell in love with it instantly and after just a few minutes of scrolling through the blog the idea for an exercise started to form in my head. Each day, for all 31 days of October, I’m going to use one of these drawings to inspire a little story. Some might be as short as a paragraph or two, others might be a more traditional short story length. The point is simply to get something down on paper in a concrete form.

So that’s my challenge for this coming month, a story a day for 31 days all inspired by the same artist. I’ll keep you posted with my progress. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment